Kirtland Air Force Base Youth Program Unveils New “Center of Innovation”
Funded through Raytheon's $5 million multi-year commitment to Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Center encourages children to explore science, technology, engineering and math fields
Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico - March 29, 2018 – To inspire children of military families to pursue science, technology, engineering, and math , Kirtland Air Force Base Youth Program will open a Center of Innovation with a grand opening and ribbon cutting event from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm on Thursday, March 29th.
Activities at the event will include a DIY STEM project of catapult building along with an opportunity to make paper circuit boards.
Pam Erickson, Raytheon's Vice President of Global Branding and Citizenship said: "Military families go where they are needed, when they are needed. Raytheon's goal is to provide their children with an environment to foster their creative and learning passions. Supporting military families is our responsibility; inspiring the military child is our privilege."
To date 13 Centers of Innovation have opened in the continental U.S. and one abroad in Germany. Each Center of Innovation will provide military youth access to advanced technologies to explore 3D printing design and a variety of engineering and computer programming challenges. A full-time STEM expert will offer individual and group support, using real-world applications to help Youth Program participants develop their STEM skills and critical thinking.
Raytheon's $5 million multi-year commitment to Boys & Girls Clubs of America is part of the company's $10 million pledge to support military families and veterans.
13 Centers of Innovation locations have been opened in the United States and abroad:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Tucson, serving families of Davis Monthan Air Force Base
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Hawaii, serving families of Hawaii
- Hill Air Force Base Youth Center, serving families of Utah
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater San Diego, serving families of Naval Base Point Loma, and Naval Base San Diego
- Boys & Girls Clubs of the Pikes Peak Region, Colorado Springs, Colorado, serving families of Peterson Air Force Base, Widefield School District and U.S. Air Force Academy Youth Program
- Eglin Air Force Base Youth Program, Florida
- Boys & Girls Clubs of San Antonio, serving families of Joint Base San Antonio (Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base, and Randolph Air Force Base)
- Joint Base Andrews Youth Program, Maryland
- Ramstein Air Base Youth Programs, Ramstein, Germany
- Boys & Girls Clubs of South County, Chula Vista, California, serving families of Naval Outlying Landing Field Imperial Beach
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Texas, Killeen, Texas, serving families of Fort Hood
- Boys & Girls Clubs of North Alabama, serving the families of Redstone Arsenal
- Harford County Boys & Girls Clubs, Aberdeen, Maryland, serving the families of the Aberdeen Proving Ground
For 27 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America has partnered with every branch of the U.S. military and serves 480,000 school-age military youth around the world. Through the affiliated Youth Centers available on nearly every U.S. military installation, Boys & Girls Clubs of America aims to provide a steady presence in military children's lives.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of America
For more than 150 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA.org) has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Today, more than 4,300 Clubs serve nearly 4 million young people annually through Club membership and community outreach. Clubs are located in cities, towns, public housing and on Native lands throughout the country, and serve military families in BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide. They provide a safe place, caring adult mentors, fun, friendship, and high-impact youth development programs on a daily basis during critical non-school hours. Priority programs emphasize academic success, good character and citizenship, and healthy lifestyles. In a Harris Survey of alumni, 54 percent said the Club saved their lives. National headquarters are located in Atlanta. Learn more at Facebook and Twitter.
Raytheon Company, with 2017 sales of $25 billion and 64,000 employees, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, civil government and cybersecurity solutions. With a history of innovation spanning 96 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, C5I™ products and services, sensing, effects, and mission support for customers in more than 80 countries. Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Mass. Follow us on Twitter.