Boys & Girls Clubs of America works continuously to enhance robust safety policies and actions to ensure young people remain safe in Clubs. Through our national Child & Club Safety Department we implement layers of safety policies and guidelines to keep our kids safe including:
- Background Checks: Mandatory annual criminal background checks for staff and volunteers.
- Mandatory Reporting: Local Boys & Girls Clubs are required to immediately report any suspected abuse or victimization to the appropriate authorities and then to Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- Safety Committees: Each Club has a Board- led Safety Committee elevating safety to the highest level of governance, and are required to fulfill the same responsibilities at every Club.
- Mandatory Safety Assessments: Clubs are required to complete a mandatory annual safety assessment.
- 3rd Party Experts: BGCA and local Clubs engage leading 3rd party safety experts on training, policies and resources. Recently BGCA worked with RAINN, the nation’s leading organization dedicated to abuse prevention, awareness, and response to conduct a safety review.
- Reference Requirement: Any employee looking to move to another Club, MUST have a reference from the previous Club to be eligible for rehire.
- Continuous Enhancement: Continual updates to Clubs’ sexual abuse prevention polices, practices, and trainings that align with best practices of healthcare and school-based settings.
- Resources for Families and Staff: Impactful training and resources for Club youth and families focused on mental health and social-emotional development.
- Resources for Youth Members: Clubs are required to prominently display key safety resources and information, including the Child Safety Helpline and Crisis Text Line
- Policy Communications: Clubs must inform parents and guardians of safety policies when they receive a youth membership application.
And much more. Review our safety timeline