DIY STEM is a hands-on, activity-based STEM curriculum which connects youth to science themes they encounter regularly. Special attention is paid to connections of theory and application and the common interactions members have with these scientific principles. DIY STEM includes five modules: Energy and Electricity, Engineering Design, Food Chemistry, Aeronautics and the Science of Sports: Football.
Every day, 15 million kids leave school with no place to go.
How do Clubs implement the program?
Summer Brain Gain can be fun and easily implemented with proper planning and preparation. Optimal implementation conditions include:
• Instituting Summer Brain Gain club-wide to yield the greatest impact
• Acquiring all required materials at least two weeks prior to facilitation
• Providing flexible learning spaces that can be prepped prior to beginning instruction
• Allotting 14-17 instructional hours per week for upper elementary youth
• Allotting 10-14 instructional hours per week for early elementary youth
• Following recommended guidelines for each grade level
• Allowing facilitators 45 minutes each day for prepping
Is training a part of the program?
Training is available to all Clubs. BGCA provides the following training opportunities:
• Implementation webinar
• Planning kit
• All Staff Conferences
• Learning Coach module
Do Clubs have to implement Summer Brain Gain STEM modules?
STEM modules are an optional way to keep youth engaged with an extra two weeks of programming while paving the pathway to college and careers through Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Can youth be program drop-ins?
It is recommended that Clubs develop a plan that allows drop-ins to be involved in programming, while simultaneously maintaining fidelity of program implementation.
How can Clubs participate?
To participate, complete the following steps:
1. Register your Club
2. Review curricula and facilitate Planning Kit
3. Identify a learning coach
4. Facilitate Summer Brain Gain Learning Coach module
5. Implement program with fidelity